1) The metabolomic studies of the Human Microbiome.
2) 1H NMR spectroscopy-based metabolomics study and chemometrics analysis in Metabolic Diseases.
Scientist, Research Assistant, Wroclaw University of Technology and Science, Faculty of Chemistry, Poland (2015 – present)
• Extensive performing metabolomics studies by using mass spectrometry combined with liquid chromatography system including metabolic profiling and analytical studies.
• Developing of in vitro screening assay for novel inhibitors against breast cancer; screening of novel inhibitors.
• Characterization of metabolic profiles, changes in metabolic pathways of breast cancer cells during treatment with novel inhibitors and under different culture conditions.
• Determination flux balances of interested pathways.
• Characterization role of novel potential oncogenic metabolites.
• Reviewing research papers and grants proposals.
• Writing standard operating protocols.
• Management of laboratory work.
• Supervising of new PhD students and technical staff.
PhD Student, Wroclaw University of Technology and Science, Faculty of Chemistry, Poland (2011 – 2015)
• Research focused on developing research tools, assays and novel approaches for metabolomics study.
• Introducing pathogenic fungi to the research group including biosafety and microbial culture. I planned and executed study to examine the most significant metabolic differences among the drug-resistant and drug-susceptible strains of the genus Candida.
• Determination of metabolic profiles and metabolic differences among the three species of pathogenic filamentous fungi A. pallidofulvus, F. oxysporum, G. candidum. Finally, I showed the relations between the metabolic composition and fungal pathogenicity.
• Filling the existing gap and comparing metabolic profiles of Aspergillus fungus in the specific stages of biofilm development. Moreover, I investigated, by means of metabolomic approach, the effect of arachidonic acid (one of QMS molecules) on the growth and metabolism of planktonic and biofilmic populations of Aspergillus.
• Characterization antifungal activity of grapefruit essential oil on mold A. pallidofulvus. Identification of potential mechanisms of action of grapefruit essential oil.
• Application of (1)H NMR-based serum metabolomic studies for monitoring female patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Additionally, metabolomics tools were employed to discriminate between patients with different IL-17A genotypes. Metabolomics may provide relevant biomarkers to improve diagnostic accuracy, define prognosis and predict and monitor treatment efficacy in rheumatoid arthritis.
• Providing new insights on lung cancer staging and discrimination from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease by using metabolomics tools.
• Evaluation of the utility of serum and urine metabolomic analysis in diagnosing and monitoring of inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD).
• Investigation possibility diagnosing a patient with COPD and the OSA syndrome using a set of selected metabolites and to determine whether the metabolites that are present in one type of biofluid (serum, exhaled breath condensate or urine) or whether a combination of metabolites that are present in two biofluids or whether a set of metabolites that are present in all three biofluids are necessary to correctly diagnose a patient.
• Demonstration the application of metabolic profiling for industrial monitoring of the molecular changes which occur during minced poppy seed rancidity and brewing processes performed on raw seeds.
• Introducing and developing tools for analysis big-data obtained from metabolomics studies.
• Supervising of undergraduate students and technical staff.
• Liaising with numerous academic centers focused on metabolomic study.
2011 – 2015 PhD in Biotechnology, Faculty of Chemistry, Wroclaw University of Technology and Science;
2009 – 2011 MSc in Biotechnology with Molecular Biotechnology and Biocatalysis, Faculty of Chemistry, Wroclaw University of Technology and Science;
2005 – 2008 BSc in Biotechnology, Faculty of Biotechnology, University of Wroclaw;
List of publication in international peer reviewed journals
• Adam Zabek, Adam Junka, Patrycja Szymczyk, Wojciech Wojtowicz, Magdalena Klimek-Ochab, Piotr Mlynarz. Metabolomics analysis of fungal biofilm development and of arachidonic acid-based quorum sensing mechanism. Journal of Basic Microbiology, DOI: 10.1002/jobm.201600636
• Adam Junka, Wojciech Wojtowicz, Adam Zabek, Grzegorz Krasowski, Danuta Smutnicka, Barbara Bakalorz, Agnieszka Boruta, Mariusz Dziadas, Piotr Mlynarz, Parish Paymon Sedghizadeh, Marzenna Bartosiewicz. Metabolic profiles of exudates from chronic leg ulcerations. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 10;137:13-22, 2017
• Adam Junka, Karol Fijałkowski, Adam Zabek, Katarzyna Mikołajewicz, Grzegorz Chodaczek, Patrycja Szymczyk, Danuta Smutnicka, Anna Żywicka, Parish Paymon Sedghizadeh, Mariusz Dziadas, Piotr Młynarz, Marzenna Bartoszewicz. Correlation between type of alkali rinsing, cytotoxicity of bio-nanocellulose and presence of metabolites within cellulose membranes. Carbohydrate Polymers 157:371–379, 2017
• Magdalena Orczyk-Pawiłowicz, Ewa Jawień, Stanisław Deja, Lidia Hirnle, Adam Zabek, Piotr Mlynarz. Metabolomics of Human Amniotic Fluid and Maternal Plasma during Normal Pregnancy. PLoS One. 12;11(4):e0152740, 2016
• Piotr Mlynarz, Stanislaw Deja, Ivana Stanimirova, Adam Zabek, Wojciech Barg, Renata jankowska. Metabolomics of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: response to Maniscalco and Motta. Metabolomics. 12:33, 2016
• Adam Zabek, Jerzy Swierkot, Anna Malak, Iga Zawadzka, Stanisław Deja, Katarzyna Bogunia-Kubik, Piotr Młynarz. Application of 1H NMR-based serum metabolomic studies for monitoring female patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis, 117:544-550, 2015
• Adam Zabek, Ivana Stanimirova, Stanisław Deja, Wojciech Barg, Aneta Kowal, Anna Korzeniewska, Magdalena Orczyk-Pawiłowicz, Daniel Baranowski, Zofia Gdaniec, Renata Jankowska, Piotr Młynarz. Fusion of the 1H NMR data of serum, urine and exalted breath condensate in order to discriminate chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Metabolomics, 11(6):1563-1574, 2015
• Ewa Grela, Adam Zabek, Agnieszka Grabowiecka, Interferences in the optimization of the MTT assay for Proteus mirabilis viability estimation, Avicenna Journal of Medical Biotechnology, 7(4):159-165, 2015
• Ewa Jawień, Adam Zabek, Stanisław Deja, Marcin Łukasiewicz, Piotr Młynarz. 1H NMR-based metabolic profiling for evaluating poppy seeds rancidity and brewing. Cellular & Molecular Biology Letters, 20(5):757-72, 2015
• Adam Zabek, Justyna Nagaj, Agnieszka Grabowiecka, Ewa Dworniczek, Urszula Nawrot, Piotr Młynarz, Małgorzata Jeżowska-Bojczuk, Activity of fluconazole and its Cu(II) complex towards Candida species. Medicinal Chemistry Research. 24(5):2005–2010, 2015
• Stanisław Deja, Irena Porębska, Aneta Kowal, Adam Zabek, Wojciech Barg, Konrad Pawełczyk, Ivana Stanimirova, Michał Daszykowski, Anna Korzeniewska, Renata Jankowska, Piotr Młynarz. Metabolomics provide new insights on lung cancer staging and discrimination from chronic obstructive
• Tomasz Dawiskiba, Stanisław Deja, Agata Mulak, Adam Zabek, Ewa Jawień, Dorota Pawełka, Mirosław Banasik, Agnieszka Mastalerz-Migas, Waldemar Balcerzak, Krzysztof Kaliszewski, Jan Skóra, Piotr Barć, Krzysztof Korta, Kornel Pormańczuk, Przemyslaw Szyber, Adam Litarski, Piotr Młynarz. Serum and urine metabolomic fingerprinting in diagnostics of inflammatory bowel diseases, World Journal of Gastroenterology, 20(1):163-174, 2014